Pages

Monday, September 29, 2008

please give me my penny

Pondering Pennies
Why is it that cashiers no longer think it’s necessary to give you your change if it’s only a penny? This has happened to me several times lately (way too many times, if you ask me). The cashier is always upset that I want my penny, and that I am willing to stand there, while they check out someone else, in order to get the money that is rightfully mine.

The cashier today thought it was funny that she forgot to give me my penny, then was annoyed when I wanted it back. I had to wait (a long time) to get my change because the next person in line had a big order. While checking them out, she asked everyone that walked by if they happened to have a penny she could give me and she’d pay them back. She wasn’t willing to admit she was wrong for keeping my change, but she sure didn’t want management to notice me standing there waiting for change that she didn’t give me. (Nobody had a penny; I waited.)

Now I know that pennies aren’t worth much (roughly a penny on most days), but if cashiers don’t give penny change to every customer, that money adds up for the business AND for the customer. A penny may only be a penny, but if this happens 100 times, then it’s a dollar. If it keeps happening, those pennies and dollars can add up to a lot of money.

Even if I don’t lose hundreds of pennies in the long run, it’s still MY money, and I should be able to decide if I want to pay more for things or keep my pennies to help purchase something else.

Are people taking your pennies too? Do you ask them for your change if they don’t give it to you?

----------------------

Book Pick: A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce
Charlotte Miller must find a way to save her family’s woolen mill, as well as the livelihood of the townspeople that work there. This book is an amazing re-imagining of Rumpelstiltskin, that adds twists and turns and depth to the original tale, along with a strong and sympathetic heroine who is much more than just the miller’s daughter.

-----------------------

It’s not too late to stop the House from passing the Orphan Works Bill/H.R. 5889
To email your House Representative (takes about 1 minute), go here.
Or call your House Representative and ask them to vote NO on HR 5889/ The Orphan Works Bill. Find their contact info here.
For more info about the Orphan Works Bill, go here.

6 comments:

  1. That's just crazy. And yes, I've had that happen to me too. What the heck is up with people? Good for you for standing there and waiting. Pennies add up. And not only that, but the new Lincoln pennies are coming out next year.

    GIVE ME MY PENNY TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like when the cashiers who take my penny change and toss it in the little penny jar there at the register..."have a penny leave one, need a penny take one"...

    I didn't say that is where I wanted it, but they automatically think a penny is nothing, so they think they have the right to decide for me...

    and they looked shocked when I reach in the little jar to get my penny...I always say, "I might need this later and I would hate to take someone elses when I have my own."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I must say this has never happened to me yet. They always give me my penny. I'm glad you all wait for yours. Yes, pennies add up -- for the store, if they're keeping them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rena: You're right, it is crazy, and they always look at me like I'm crazy! I bet more people will want them back when the new ones come out next year.

    Brenda: Ha! Good for you for shocking the cashier and taking back your penny! I just want to be able to decide myself if I want to keep my penny or donate it to the penny dish.

    Marcia: Lucky you! I hope you always get your pennies back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a cashier not give me my penny change, but they do look at you as if - 'Seriously, you're going to take that.'

    And the thing I wonder - if you were a penny short, would they let you off?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some places do let you go if you're a penny short, or they have the penny dish that you can take one if you need it.

    But most places make you pay the penny.

    ReplyDelete