Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

character cravings, NaNo and JoNo, holidays and a meme

What does your character crave? Is it something small like a sugary treat? Or is it something bigger, like a friend, or a boyfriend, or a home, or a parent that actually loves them?

How can you write or illustrate your character’s craving in a believable way? How about something like this (or is it too much?):

“Hi, do you have pie? What kind of pie? Can I have some pie? I’d like some pie, or maybe some cake. Do you have cake? Or cupcakes? Or cookies? I could go for some cookies. I’d like a cookie! Then again, I could totally go for some candy, maybe chocolate. I like chocolate. Do you have any chocolate?

Sugar Craving! Sugar Craving! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I should probably just eat fruit. Fruit has sugar in it. Fruit is much better for you than chocolate, candy, cookies, cake or pie, but I really like pie. If I have apple pie, it’s both fruit and pie. Mmmmmmmm, pie.”


Authors: Write the Crave! - Illustrators: Draw the Crave!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news …
NaNoWriMo – If I hadn’t gotten food poisoning, I really think I could have finished in time. Even though I didn’t, I’m still glad I signed up this year. I have a character with a strong voice and a story she wants to tell. I’m still working on it and I’ve also started working on Path Of Bees again too! (I’m working mostly on Sheila’s story, but I’ve been slowly adding to the Bee’s story too.)

JoNoWriMo – My main goal was forward progress. I’ve been making progress, so I achieved this goal! I might not be going as fast as I’d like to, and I might be working on different projects than I thought I would, but I’m making progress, and that counts.

The Holidays – Warning to those who haven’t been paying attention to the calendar lately: the end of the year is coming up fast! I just realized we’re leaving a few days earlier than we usually do, and it’s already December, and I’m starting to panic, just a little bit. Eeek! Help! There’s so much to do in the next week and a half! Maybe some pie would calm me down, or some chocolate. Mmmm, chocolate. :)

I was tagged by Adrienne for a cool meme where you give one word answers to questions. It’s lots of fun, so try it if you want! (I tag everyone that wants a fun word challenge!)

Where is your cell phone? table
Where is your significant other? work
Your hair color? brown
Your mother? knowledgeable
Your father? reader
Your favorite thing? art
Your dream last night? weird
Your dream/goal? published
The room you’re in? living
Your hobby? fun
Your fear? unmentionable
Where do you want to be in 6 years? healthy
Where were you last night? home
What you’re not? bored
One of your wish-list items? books
Where you grew up? Minnesota
Last thing you did? breakfast
What are you wearing? clothes
Your TV? old
Your pet? furry
Your computer? warm
Your mood? stressed
Missing someone? family
Your car? white
Something you’re not wearing? earrings
Favorite store? bookstore
Your summer? beach
Love someone? yes
Your favorite color? lots
When is the last time you laughed? yesterday
Last time you cried? Ummm?

9 comments:

  1. My current MC keeps craving raisin bread. Which is strange, because I don't particularly like raisin bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your answers to the meme!

    My character craves security and isn't anthropomorphic, so it's a challenge to illustrate. No teddy bears, blankies... I'm having a tough time coming up with ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My MC is craving change, but she hasn't made up her mind which change she wants...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay,stop you're making me hungry. Great job on NaNo and JoNo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My MC Dilly craves sour pickles.

    Good job with the writing projects considering you were so sick.

    As for the holidays, you could try chocolate cream pie. It takes care of the chocolate and the pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, I'm always craving sugar!

    Carrie, that is strange, but then again, characters don't always do or like what we think they should.

    Adrienne, that's a hard one to illustrate, but you can do it! Maybe brainstorm all the things that usually signify security and what specific things mean security to your character, then try to incorporate those into the drawings? Good luck!

    Brenda, that's the best kind of craving for a character. It's a hard thing to figure out, but there are so many possibilities. Have fun!

    Thanks Sara! Hope you were able to have a treat so you weren't hungry anymore :)

    Rena, if that's what Dilly craves, then that's what she should get, or it's what you should make impossible for her to get. I used to love chocolate cream pie - I think it was called French Silk. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes on the pickle cravings! That's pretty much the main goal of my Dilly character. He searches for new ways to enjoy and/or get his favorite treat.

    Sometimes you just gotta give in to those cravings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rena, you know, I debated whether or not Dilly was a boy or a girl, and I figured that if I picked one, it would be the other, and it was. Tell Dilly I'm sorry I called him a girl and I hope he gets his pickles!

    ReplyDelete