There are three types of dream agents.
Dream Agent #1: An agent that an author/illustrator
has already signed with. They are in sync with the needs, dreams, and
careers of their client.
Dream Agent #2: An agent that an unsigned author/illustrator hopes to sign with.
Dream Agent #3: An agent that you had a dream (or nightmare) about when you were sleeping.
I don’t have an agent, so Dream Agent #1 doesn’t apply to me yet.
However, I do have a Dream Agent #2 in mind. Who is it? It’s not a
specific person. It’s more like an agent wish list:
* Loves my work, but pushes me to make it even better.
* Will help shape my career.
* Reps YA and children’s books.
* Communicates in a professional and timely manner.
* Loves things that go bump in the night, as well as things that are funny, wacky, or downright strange (but in a good way).
Speaking of Dream Agent #3, last night I had a dream
that I signed with an agent. Woohoo! I have no idea who it was, but
that might not be a bad thing. Writing, “I had a dream about you last
night.” would probably land your query in the auto-reject pile.
Do you have a dream agent?