Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Dr. Seuss’s birthday, Read Across America, The Cat In The Hat, and his brother, and IF

I’ve been playing around with pen and ink lately. I used to use it quite a bit, but haven’t for years. This week, in honor of Dr. Seuss’s birthday* (he would have been 108 today), I decided to do an ink drawing of The Cat In The Hat. What you might not know is that The Cat In The Hat has a brother.** I decided to draw him too. Unfortunately for the fish, the brother is more trouble than The Cat In The Hat! It also works for Illustration Friday this week. The prompt is, “intention,” as in, The Cat In The Hat had good intentions, but his brother had other ideas. Poor fish!



This is more of a sketch than finished art. If you look closely, you can probably see the pencil lines I forgot to erase. Also, I used a new ink that for some reason faded to grey in places (won’t be using that ink again). I added the color digitally. Overall, I like the image, even with the ink weirdness.
Are you doing anything to celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday? Today is also Read Across America. Go ahead, celebrate both of them!

* If I have time, I’m going to do Dr. Seuss inspired art once and week in March and post it on Friday. Hope I have time; this was fun!

** Dr. Seuss never mentioned a brother for The Cat In The Hat, but since most cats have more than one kitten, I decided he had a brother, or maybe it’s his sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment