Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Watercolor Wednesdays - O is for Owl

I'm honored to have been accepted as a member of Watercolor Wednesdays today. It's a blog where a talented group of children's book illustrators have weekly and monthly art challenges. Thanks to Wendy (Lyon) Martin for asking the group if I could join.

This week's challenge is Alphabet Letters. When I was doing my daily drawing of an owl, I realized that an owl would be great for the letter O. So I quickly painted this picture:



I used watercolor crayons, watercolor paints, watercolor markers, acrylic paint (for the O around the moon and OWL), and a hair dryer so it would be dry enough to scan yet tonight. I'm not sure I like the watercolor markers. I still haven't figured out how to make them do what I want them to do. Has anyone else had success with watercolor markers?

The original drawing for today was supposed to be an owl carrying a letter (to the IRS for tax day). I decided that the owl post birds would be a bit different looking. I ended up with a bird that's not very owlish, but I still kind-of like him. What do you think? Hope you all got your taxes in on time!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't played with watercolor markers, but I like the movement in the sky. Cute owls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adrienne! I don't know about the watercolor markers yet. I keep experimenting with them every once in a while. Eventually I'll figure out what to do with them, maybe.

    ReplyDelete