Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

inside out umbrella - art inspired by Edward Gorey for Illustration Friday

When I read that the Illustration Friday prompt for this week is rain, my first thought was of being stuck in a storm when your umbrella flips inside out. I did a quick sketch of the idea (and my mood for the day) and got this:


Showed it to my DH, who said it reminded him of Edward Gorey, which improved my mood considerably! I hadn't meant to channel Gorey, but I love his art. When I went on to draw a more finished image, I decided to actually think about Gorey while drawing. This is the result:


The finished result is not an imitation of Gorey's art or style, but I think the influence and inspiration is obvious. What do you think?

Here's a crop so you can get a closer look at the details:


Hope your day today is sunny! It's a rainy day for you, I hope that your umbrella stays open the right way and keeps you dry. Or better yet, I hope you can stay inside and draw! If your mood is rainy, I hope you can find an artist or a story that will inspire you, or possibly turn your mood around.

Note: The images were drawn on a tan colored paper that looks a bit peach when scanned. 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful look at the process, and the good results. I'll remember the image the next time I walk in the rain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mirka! Hoping your umbrella stays up and doesn't blow inside out!

      Delete
  2. I love how happy the ducks are. It's as if they're saying, Cheer up, it's just a little tain, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dionna! That's what I was thinking when I drew the ducks. They don't understand umbrellas and wanting to keep dry. ;)

      Delete